Friday, January 2, 2015

Happy New Year!

A year ago today I woke up in the hospital.  Well, that's not really accurate.  I didn't actually sleep much to have a real "wake up moment."  Those hospital beds are NOT comfortable.  And it's noisy with the beeping and whatnot.  I was blessed to walk out of there the day after I walked in and go about my life like normal (mostly).  The new year and the year anniversary of the day my pulmonary embolisms were found has been good for reflection.  And for looking forward!


At the time I joked about it.  I downplayed it.  "Yeah, I had multiple bilateral PEs.  NBD."  But it was a big deal.  It is a big deal.  Do you remember Marlise Munoz?  She was the woman in Texas who all but died from a pulmonary embolism while making her son a bottle but happened to also be 14 weeks pregnant...begin a weeks long battle about keeping someone "alive" to support the growth of a fetus.  Well, that's all a different story for a different day, but that could have been me.  We both had PEs.  She died.  I didn't.  God decided I get to stay here.  And let me tell you, I'm thankful every. single. day.  My knee-jerk response is still to joke and downplay it though.  It's hard to be this serious all the time, depressing even.  But I take my health seriously and I do what I have to do!  Even if it gets annoying to check my INR all the freaking time. 

I sincerely thank my friend and personal nurse Jonna for convincing me to go to the ER that day.  As I'm sure you all know my only symptom was shortness of breath.  But not OH-MY-GOD-I-CAN'T-BREATH-I'M-DYING shortness of breath even.  Just kind of like winded but only sitting on the couch.  And it would come and go.  By the time I had my EKG and CT scan at the ER I was feeling completely better and was 100% certain they were going to admit me to the psych ward for my phantom symptoms.  So what I want to say here is trust your gut...if something feels off - get it checked out!  Don't worry about what other people think.  If your nurse friend says to get it checked out, RUN, don't walk to the doctor.  They know what they are talking about.  They've seen stuff.  Didn't Oprah always say to trust your gut?  Oprah's a smart gal.

 

So why am I rambling on about this you ask?  Because it's my blog.  And I do want I want!  Kidding (sort of).  My point is take care of yourself!  Do it for your kids, your spouse, your parents, your friends, but maybe even more important do it for YOURSELF!  Because YOU are worth it!  Listen to your body.  Do things that are healthy.  Eat real food.  Exercise.  Meditate.  Practice yoga.  Try something new this year!  I'm going to blog about some of the new things I've found passion in this past year like yoga and macronutrition.  Don't worry, this isn't a health blog now.  My last meal still includes McDonald's french fries with extra salt. 


So enjoy the NEW YEAR!  The whole thing.  Every. Single. Day. of it!


No comments:

Post a Comment